Saturday, May 7, 2016

Movie Review: Angry Birds, the Movie

Advanced showing, in theatres 12 May, in US theatres 20 May

95 minutes.

Accurate trailer? yeah, pretty much.

Most video games that have been made into movies have been complete cinematic disasters (see: Mortal Kombat, Super Mario Brothers and Star Wars:The Phantom Menace) so I was really expecting this, a movie based on a game app for my phone, to suck big time.

I was pleasantly surprised--it has chosen to make a coherent cartoon land based on the iconography of the game, rather than do a "Pixels". The result is a standard 3-act movie of set-up, challenge and resolution; there is never a time when they need to pander.

They even have Black Sabbath in their soundtrack. How can you hate a montage with Paranoid?

I loved and hated this movie--the 5 year old in me loved it, the adult me was sitting there wondering what I was doing with my life. Wouldn't Ant-man die when he shrank? What am I going to do with the bodies now?

The result is that my reaction is a warm, empty and ambivalent void. Is this all there is? Where's my wife and family? What if I die here?

As a cartoon it works, there's plenty of Hannah-Barbera-esque frantic action and chuckles, and for the adults there's enough in-jokes that Mum will enjoy. Just not enough to fill out 95 minutes.

With that said, at the end of the day, this is a novelty act.

So, I'm going to split the difference, and give it a pass score. Its saving grace was that it was 95 minutes long with a minimum of exposition and no moralising. It felt like it was Saturday morning all over again.

Score: 6/10


No comments:

Post a Comment